It was a little bit of a hectic day.
I needed to mail a relatively bulky package, and being without a car, I needed to walk it to the post office in the early afternoon1.
This is a time I'm not usually out. I was sure to bring my camera, because you never know.
And it was a great day for photography, particularly because I got to see this fellow.
It's unusual around this area to see a bird of such a vibrant blue color.
He was also quite small in size, and pretty skittish and distant from me, which made the photography more challenging.
No matter. There's always cropping in post-production, right?
Facts: Photographic and Fowl
- Since particular bird was vibrant blue, it is indeed male. Male Indigo Buntings turn this shade to attract a mate.
- It's a migratory bird that spends the summers from Canada to Florida, and the winters in South America. Pennsylvania is in the summer-only range.
- It's a pretty small bird, so I was justified in having difficulty getting a better shot!
Here's my obligatory pointless EXIF information.
|Photo of the Week: EXIF DATA|
|Time Stamp||Thursday, August 13 2020|
Beasts of Different Types
And with that out of the way, what were the other animals I had the good fortune to run across?
Firstly, a lot of active butterflies.
Secondly, some boring doves.
And thirdly & most importantly, my most beloved pair of turkey vultures.
If anyone wants to join a local turkey vulture fan club chapter, I'm interested in opening one. :)
1 The Post Office, a.k.a. that institution which provides vital services for so many people, and which has been severely underfunded appears to be increasingly decimated in a show of political malice. My local branch's weekday hours have been reduced to a pathetic and lightly followed 10AM to 1PM, at which time it closes for a lunch break, and reopens sometime after 1:45, closing for good at 4:45PM.
2 I'm not in school anymore, so I don't need to obfuscate the fact that I'm doing it.
This post was part of a series:
Thanks for reading!
If you enjoyed this post, you might enjoy these 5 similar posts:
- 2020-06-21 —Turkey Vulture
- 2022-09-02 —A Taste of Paradise at Mt. Rainier National Park
- 2020-09-09 —Deer
- 2020-08-11 —Box Turtle (II)
- 2022-12-20 —My First Frames with a Soviet Medium Format Film Camera